Airport transfers between central London and London Stansted airport.
London Stansted airport is 40 miles (64km) north-east of central London. National Express coach is the cheapest way to travel to/from Stansted airport. Prices are low, and there are eighteen departure/arrival points in central and east London.
The Stansted Express, the only train service to the airport. It’s the quickest way to travel to/from Liverpool St station in London. The downside is the cost, although it’s cheaper if you book 30 days in advance. Do check there are no engineering works on the day you want to travel before booking. See below.
London to Stansted airport: Summary
Scroll down the page to see full details of each service.
|A6 National Express: to/from Paddington||£6–£13|
|A7 National Express: to/from Victoria (via Waterloo)||£6–£13|
|A8 National Express: to/from Liverpool St||£6–£9|
|A9 National Express: to/from Stratford||£7–£11|
|767 Stansted Citylink: to/from King’s Cross||£9–£10|
|Stansted Express train||£16.60*|
*Tickets booked online in advance are cheaper. See below.
National Express coach to and from Stansted
National Express, the UK’s biggest and most reputable coach company, run four frequent coach services between London and Stansted airport:
The A6 starts at Paddington and has pick-up points in north London.
The A7 starts at Victoria Coach Station and has pick-up points in Waterloo and Southwark.
The A8 starts at Liverpool St and has pick-up points in east London.
The A9 is a direct service from Stratford to Stansted airport.
Buying National Express tickets
For travel to Stansted airport, we recommend buying tickets in advance especially if you leave London after midnight.
Tickets can be booked online. They’re cheaper if you book in advance.
You need to print your ticket. If you don’t have access to a printer you can pay 50p extra to have your booking sent by text to your mobile phone. Just select m-Ticket when choosing the ticket delivery options.
Tickets are also available from the ticket office in Victoria Coach Station (open 7am-10pm daily).
At Stansted airport, tickets are available from the National Express desk in the arrivals hall or from the coach station ticket office (open 24 hours).
Coaches operate 24 hours a day with a reduced service at night.
Search coach times online or see below under ‘Departure Points’ for links to pdf timetables.
Journey times vary depending on the service and time of day. The fastest service is the A9 direct coach from Stratford.
A6: 1 hour 25 – 2 hours 15 mins from Paddington
A7: 1 hour 30 minutes – 2 hours to/from Victoria Coach Station
A8: 1 hour – 1 hour 20 minutes to/from Liverpool St
A9: 50 minutes to/from Stratford
Ticket prices range from £6–£13 single (including £1 booking fee) depending on how far in advance you book and your departure point.
A6 Paddington/Marble Arch/Portman Square via north London—Stansted:
- London Paddington Rail Station – Stop J, Bishop’s Bridge Rd, W2 (behind the station)
- London Portman Square – Stop 15, Gloucester Pl, W1 (near Churchill Hotel)
- London Marble Arch – Stop M, Portman St, W1 (just off Oxford St, near Marble Arch tube station)
- London Baker St – Stop 19, Gloucester Pl, NW1 (outside the Allsop pub)
- London St John’s Wood – Stop Z, Wellington Rd (near Lord’s Cricket Ground)
- London Finchley – Stop CL, Finchley Rd, NW3 (near Finchley Rd tube station)
- London Golders Green – Stops GD, Golders Green Bus station, NW11 (outside Golders Green tube station)
- Stansted airport – Stansted airport coach station
A7 Victoria Coach Station via Waterloo and Southwark—Stansted:
The main departure point is Victoria coach station but if you’re arriving at Victoria tube or train station, it’s easier to take the coach from Coach Stop 11 on Buckingham Palace Rd. This is a just around the corner from the tube/train station. The coach station is an 8-10 minute walk from the tube/train station.
- London Victoria – Victoria Coach Station, Buckingham Palace Rd, SW1
- London Victoria – Coach Stop 11, Buckingham Palace Rd, SW1 (near Victoria train station)
- London Waterloo – Stop F, York Rd, Waterloo Station (opposite Leake St)
- London Southwark – Coach Stop next to Stop SM, Southwark St, near Blackfriars Rd
A8 Liverpool St via east London—Stansted:
- London Bethnal Green – Stop D, Bethnal Green Rd, E2 (near Bethnal Green tube station)
- London Shoreditch – Stop J, Bethnal Green Rd, E1 (opposite Shoreditch High St overground station)
- London Liverpool St – Stop G, Bishopsgate, EC2 (outside Liverpool St tube/train station)
- London Whitechapel – Stop A, Whitechapel Rd, E1 (outside the Royal London Hospital)
- London Mile End – Stop D, Mile End Rd, E3 (opposite Mile End tube station)
- London Bow – Stop A, Bow Rd, E3 (opposite Bow Church DLR station)
A9 Stratford — Stansted:
- London Stratford – Stop L, Great Eastern Rd, Stratford, E15 (outside Stratford tube/train station)
- Stansted airport – Stansted airport coach station
Stansted Citylink 767 to and from Stansted airport
Stansted Citylink operate a non-stop coach between King’s Cross and Stansted airport.
£9–£10 single if you book online.
Buying Stansted Citylink tickets
Book online for the cheapest tickets. Tickets are also available from the customer service agents who wait by the buses in London and from various ticket offices in Stansted airport.
Tickets cost £1–2 more from a customer service agent or ticket office.
From London to Stansted – every 30 minutes between 2.30am and 11.30pm
From Stansted to London – every 30 minutes between 5.30am and 11pm. Additional services leave at midnight, 1am and 4.30am
1 hour 15 minutes
- London – Bus stop S, Midland Rd, King’s Cross (close to St Pancras International train station)
- Stansted airport – Bay 11 & 12 Stansted airport coach station
Stansted Express trains to and from Stansted airport
Unlike other London airports, there’s only one train service to and from London: The Stansted Express. It’s quicker, but more expensive than the coach.
Trains start at Liverpool St station (Central line) and make an additional stop at Tottenham Hale station in north-east London before continuing to Stansted airport.
It might be more convenient to take the train from (or get off at) Tottenham Hale station. You won’t save much money (Tottenham Hale is in zone 3) but it’s on the Victoria line so it might be easier to travel to/from your accommodation.
Central London – Liverpool St or Tottenham Hale station
Stansted airport – Stansted airport train station located below the airport terminal
Journey times & frequency
Trains take 46 minutes to/from Liverpool St station and 36 minutes to/from Tottenham Hale station.
Departures are every 15 minutes. Trains do not operate overnight and very early departures do not stop at Tottenham Hale station.
Arriving in London on Friday or Saturday
If you arrive late in London on Friday or Saturday you can now use the Night Tube to continue your journey. The Victoria line (Tottenham Hale), the Central line (Liverpool St station) and the Jubilee and Piccadilly line now run through the night on Friday and Saturday.
Liverpool St station to/from Stansted airport:
The standard adult fares are £16.60 single, £28 return. Standard child fares are £8.30 single, £14 return.
Tottenham Hale station to/from Stansted airport:
The standard fares are £15.70 single, £26 return. Standard child fares are £7.85 single, £13 return.
Rail Card holders get 1/3 off the standard fares for the Stansted Express.
If you book tickets online in advance, fares are cheaper.
Booking Stansted Express tickets
Book online with Stansted Express or buy tickets from the train station ticket offices at Liverpool St station, Tottenham Hale station or Stansted airport.
Avoid travelling by train when there are engineering works. Check the service alteration information before buying a ticket.
Last updated: 21 February 2017