National Express, the UK’s main coach operator, runs regular coaches from the north and south terminals at Gatwick airport to central London.
The coach takes longer than the train, but in certain circumstances it might be more convenient:
- The coach stops in parts of south London that are difficult to get to from Gatwick without changing train. See below for a list of destinations.
- The final destination is Victoria Coach Station, useful if you are taking another coach to somewhere else in the UK or mainland Europe. Victoria train station is a 10-minute walk from the coach station.
- Victoria Coach Station is less hectic than Victoria Train Station during the morning or evening rush hours (around 8-9.30am and 5.30-7pm Monday to Friday). There’s a taxi rank just outside the coach station arrivals building on Eccleston Place.
It’s also a much cheaper alternative to a taxi if there’s a train strike.
£8–12 adult, £4–£4.50 child
Fares are cheaper if you book with National Express in advance.
If you don’t want to book in advance, it’s easy to buy tickets at the airport. You can’t pay on the coach.
There are two National Express ticket offices in the South Terminal. One in the arrivals hall and another near the coach stop. Both are open from 6am-10pm. When the desk is closed there’s a 24-hour ticket inside the ticket office near the coach stop.
There’s a ticket office in the arrivals hall open 6am-10pm and a 24-hour ticket machine next to the office.
NB The ticket machines take debit/credit cards and UK notes and coins. They do not accept £50 notes.
Journey time & timetable
The coaches run every day except 25 December.
To central London it’s approximately 1 hour 29 minutes. Coaches depart every 30 minutes during the day, hourly at night.
View the A3 Gatwick to London timetable (PDF)
From the arrivals hall, follow the sign for ‘Buses & Coaches’. Take the lift down to Level -0.
The coach leaves from bus stop 3 on the lower forecourt.
Bus stops 4 & 5 in front of the arrivals hall.
Bus stops along the route and final destination
- Lower Kingswood – Brighton Rd, opposite Fox on the Hill Pub
- Banstead – Brighton Rd, bus stop near Tattenham Way
- London Belmont – Stop A, Rail station, Brighton Rd
- London Sutton (Rail station) – Stop Q, The Quadrant
- London Sutton (Centre) – Stop W, St Nicholas Way
- London Rosehill – Bus stop, Bishopsford Rd
- London Mitcham – Stop A, London Rd, opposite Downe Rd
- London Streatham – Stop O, Streatham High Rd, opposite the Odeon Cinema
- London Stockwell – Stop A, South Lambeth Rd
- London Vauxhall – Stop W, South Lambeth Rd, opposite Vauxhall Park
- London Victoria Coach Station – Buckingham Palace Rd
Scroll down to view all stops on a map.
The coaches are full-size and there’s a generous luggage allowance — two medium-sized suitcases, weighing up to 20kg each, plus one small piece of hand luggage per person.
National Express Gatwick to London coach stops
Last updated: 23 August 2017